Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Jen's Salsa Roja and Salsa Fresca

Salsa Roja - Smooth aka "hot sauce"

1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1/4C water
1/4C  lime juice
1T olive oil
3T taco seasoning mix
1T dried oregano, crushed
1T garlic powder (or a little less)
1T onion powder
1t ground cumin
1t poblano chile powder (if using 'regular' chile powder, you may need more)
salt and pepper to taste
2t chopped cilantro (optional - I use the frozen cubes)

Mix all ingredients and let stand for 30 minutes before serving. Can be stored in airtight container in refrigerator for up to two weeks.

Salsa Fresca - Chunky aka "salsa"

3C tomato, chopped
1C onion, chopped
1/2C chile, seeded and chopped (I often cheat and use a 4oz can of diced green chiles)
2t garlic, chopped (or more)
3T taco seasoning mix
1T dried oregano, crushed
1t ground cumin
1t poblano chile powder (if using 'regular' chile powder, you may need more)
salt and pepper to taste
2t chopped cilantro (optional - I use the frozen cubes)
1/4C lime juice

Mix all ingredients and let stand for 30 minutes before serving. Can be stored in airtight container in refrigerator but I bet it won't last that long.

Canning:
Both recipes can be canned by bringing it to a boil and processing in jars.  I double the recipe and get 3 pints plus a bowl for eating while I'm canning.  :oP  Watch your salt if you can them though, they taste saltier after cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment